Monday, March 2, 2015

Lovely Ink Interview with Rachael Taylor


Rachael Taylor, the well-known UK surface designer, is bringing her fun,quirky and vibrant style to our March Lovely Ink. Let her sprinkle her spontaneous and playful spirit into your days, reminding you to dream with a light heart and a smile.  

If you want to receive a free 8x10" printable and desktop wallpaper of this print as well as an archive of 11 other inspirational artworks, sign-up  by March 20, 2015 for Lovely Ink here. This is your last chance to get this amazing free collection of art. 

In this interview with Rachael Taylor, she reveals the intricacies of her creative process and shares her inspirations. Enjoy!


Take us through your creative process of making your piece for Lovely Ink?
I always start my design process by playing some of my favourite music. Then I dig out a collection of pens, inks and tools for mark making and drawing. I create 95% of my artwork by hand, then I scan it in and work it up in either Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. For the Lovely Ink piece I simply created what came in to my mind at that moment. I wanted to incorporate pattern, textures and layering and team it with a striking colour palette and a motivational quote. Choosing colour palettes for my work is my favourite part of the creative process!



What drew you to the inspirational saying you used in your Lovely Ink piece?
I’m a big fan of inspiring words and quotations and surround myself with them on a daily basis. I created the piece as I felt like I needed to hear and share the words myself at that precise moment in time. Where possible, I try to always work organically that way my work doesn’t feel too contrived.



Was there a moment in your life when you first fell in love with making things? 
I’ve always been a creative person, whether that was through dance, drama or art. After I graduated university I began to incorporate a looser and quirkier style within my designs. I would say that was when I really fell in love with drawing and began to gain confidence as an artist.


Where in your life do you find the most inspiration for your art?
I tend to soak up inspiration around me and this seems to spontaneously translate into my drawings. I draw my designs in a quite traditional hand drawn process, as this feels more personal and less contrived. I then work my designs up digitally using a Wacom graphics tablet. I love colour and tend to use brights in my designs. 


What would be your absolute dream project - no limitations?
This year I am working hard towards building a brand new portfolio to appeal to the children’s market, I have been inspired to create cute characters since having my little baby boy, Blayke Lennon! A range with Mama’s and Papa’s would be an absolute dream!



Who are some of your favourite artists, illustrators or surface designers?
I absolutely adore work by Louise Tiler, Libby McMullin, Helen Dardik, Ella Doran and many more. I’m particularly inspired by spontaneous design and I’ve always really admired the work of artist Jackson Pollock, I love the energy his work brings. I’ve also always been a fan of Alexander McQueen as I admire the risks he took with his work. I also love art and design from the 1950’s and 1960’s.



What are your favorite design or art blogs that you would like to share with your fans?





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...