Monday, December 1, 2014

Lovely Ink: Interview with Cori Dantini


This month's Lovely Ink was created by the whimsical and sweet mixed-media artist, Cori Dantini. You will be enchanted by her cute bird, delicate line work and snippets of everyday poetry.

If you want to receive a free 8x10" printable and desktop wallpaper of this  print sign-up for Lovely Ink here. Every month, Lovely Ink delivers free inspirational art to your inbox.

II was lucky enough to interview Cori and get a glimpse into her world. Enjoy! 

 


Take us through your creative process of making your piece for Lovely Ink?
I never know how to answer this kind of question because i just make things... I try to get out of my way and let the art happen, and that is what happened here! (Hope you like it).



What drew you to the inspirational saying, "i have a song in my heart!" that you used in your Lovely Ink piece?
Well...I really do have a song in my heart at any given moment, and if you were here I would
sing one for you! I don't really talk too much about it any longer, but i grew up singing. In fact, I started in 6th grade. By 9th grade, I was being trained classically and by the time I was 15, my voice coach made me choose between jazz and classic opera. I chose jazz. so, that left me without a voice teacher, singing in jazz choir which I did from 10th grade until I graduated from college.

One of the only regrets I have to this day is the fact that I stopped singing and performing, but honestly, I never liked everyone looking at me – so it was sort of easy to give it up because of that. I guess it's never too late to begin again. 



Was there a moment in your life when you first fell in love with making things?
Not that I can recall (how boring is that answer)! I suppose what I know to be true is that I have always enjoyed making things with my hands, or should I say that I have always had busy hands, that were willing to get dirty, that were willing to pretend that they knew what they were doing. 



Where in your life do you find the most inspiration for your art?
I find "inspiration" all around me. what I am moved by are the little tiny moments that are tucked into the nooks and crannies of daily life. sweet little hands, giggles, bugs, walks, friendships, sadness... and especially the birds. 

What would be your absolute dream project - no limitations?
That's easy! I would like to illustrate a book – a book that speaks to the hearts of children (and their parents), something that has a wonderful message that little people can take with them as they grow up.

Who are some of your favorite artists, illustrators or surface designers?
Keiko Minami (Japanese Artist, 1911 –2004): I love her... as in my knees get weak when i look at her (good) work. It speaks to my soul with its tender care to small detail and quiet color.

Emily Sutton: I love how she weaves a sense of place into her work. i always find this to be very challenging, and she gives you just enough information so that you can feel like you are actually there.

Kristin Vestgård: I love her fresh take on the face... it is ethereal and abstract yet I feel like I am truly looking at real people.

Diana Sudyka: an illustrator from Chicago. What I love about her work is that it has magic in it.
I can feel it in my bones... it seems like she speaks with moths and butterflies and they tell her secrets that will warm your heart- then she takes the time to share those secrets with all of us.



What are your favorite design or art blogs that you would like to share with your fans?
Yours of course! and... well, I am so busy these days that I hardly can keep up with my day to day life but when I have time I check in on Pikaland and Smart Creative Women. not to mention the deepest rabbit hole i know PINTEREST. i get on there to look at ceramic tumblers and the next thing i know i have lost an hour! if you want to see the (many) rabbit holes i go down, feel free to go and take a look.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...